One year ago over 250 people Rallied for Public Education in the middle of a February snowstorm. This year we will do it again — even bigger, but inside where it’s warmer. Remember these fabulous students who spoke about the effects of budget cuts on their schools? They helped spark an entire grassroots movement.
Our public schools are still staggering under massive state budget cuts. Students in Pennsylvania have lost almost 20,000 of their teachers in the past two years. Our kids have lost music, art, library, languages, tutoring programs, full-day Kindergarten and more. Here in Southwest PA, our children are sitting in classes with 35 and even 39 students. And this year they will take even more high-stakes, standardized tests, spending several months of the school year on nothing but test prep and test taking. Enough is enough!
Come RALLY FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION on Sunday, February 10, 2013. 3PM at the Kelly Strayhorn Theater in East Liberty (5941 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206). This is about equity, social justice, and a great public education for all our children.
Join hundreds of other volunteer parents, students, teachers, and concerned community members who have been making a real difference in the grassroots movement for our public schools as we:
- Celebrate what we’ve achieved this past year working together
- Respond to Gov. Corbett’s new budget proposal (which he will announce on Feb. 5th)
- Issue an urgent Call to Action for our public schools
- Performances by student groups, Anne Feeney, the Squirrel Hillbillies, and more!
- Community conversation with Dr. Tim Slekar (head of the education department at Penn State Altoona, host of the education radio program At the Chalkface, and a national leader of United Opt Out)
- Special free showing of the new pro-public education documentary, “Brooklyn Castle,” under special arrangement with the producers
We already have confirmation from local legislators who are planning to come as well as key community leaders. For example, we are honored to learn that civil rights leader Carl Redwood will be joining us. The media is invited and this is going to be big. Please mark your calendars now and help us spread the word: go to our Facebook event page to RSVP and use the “invite friends” button to reach out to your networks. Let’s see if we can make our invitation list grow to over 1,000. We can do it! And I can’t wait to Rally with you.